Thursday 26 July 2012

How Does Your Garden Grow??

One of the things I was excited for moving to the country is planting and growing a garden. This year I planted:  

Peas
popcorn
sweet corn
purple corn
purple beans
3 kinds of carrots
4 kinds of potatoes
spaghetti squash
zucchini
gourds
cucumber
3 kinds of melons
spinach
arugula
3 kinds of lettuce
onions
purple onions
green onions
asparagus
strawberries
cherries
apples
chives
barley


My apple tree!

Corn


Potatoes

Peas

Barley

Pretty potato flower





This is my garden today...









Our community just got hit my a massive hail storm. They were the size of baseballs. The smallest hail were the size of golf balls.  We have massive damage to our vehicles, camper, and roof.  Our neighbours crops were destroyed. I can't imagine something like this happening to our ancestors, who couldn't afford to just run to the store to buy food. Their entire life revolved around growing and producing food and farming cash crops to provide for their families. I know how heart broken I am over my garden, I can't imagine what it would be like for them. I'm very sad today! I going to go curl up and eat ice cream and go to bed early, and deal with all this tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment